Diploma in Film Production (Part Time)
Pulse College’s Part-Time Diploma in Film Production is one of the most respected courses of its type in Ireland. The Diploma has been designed in conjunction with and run by industry professionals. In addition to in-depth training, you will get the chance to collaborate with experts and students from the Audio, Games and Animation courses within Pulse College, which fuels the production of a wide variety of professional quality work for inclusion in your final showreel.
Explore different genres, learn the technical skills, exercise your craft and most of all find your voice through film. Pulse College’s multi award winning tutors will be there to mentor you every step of the way. This hands-on, technical programme will give you the tools you need to follow your passion and make it a success.
Alumni have gone on to establish their own production companies and have produced work that has appeared at numerous international film festivals or been shortlisted for national film funding awards.
The programme is delivered by practicing industry professionals from disciplines including screenwriting, production, sound, cinematography and postproduction.
Throughout this stimulating and rewarding course you learn a variety of technical and creative production skills. You will be challenged to produce a diversity of professional quality work from commercial productions and viral videos to music videos and documentaries.
Key Course Elements
- Shoot your projects in Ultra HD with our 4K Blackmagic URSA Cinema Camera, Canon’s Cinema Line C100, GoPro Hero 4’s and Sony PMW Ex1’s.
- Light your creations with professional ARRI and Kino Flo lighting rigs.
- Add stunning backdrops using our dedicated Green Screen studio.
- Edit your projects in our post production facility kitted out with duel 4K 28” monitors and fully specced Mac Pro.
- Colour grade and edit your creations in the industry standard DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X.
- Get that perfect shot using our SteadiCam Pilot rig and fully body harness.
- Break into the world of gripping with our advanced Matthews Dolly and Track system, Flag and Net kits, C-Stand inventory and much more.
Detailed Course Content
Programme modules and content are subject to ongoing quality assurance reviews and will evolve to reflect educational and industry developments.
- Video Production Techniques
- Sound Recording Techniques
- Lighting for Film and TV
- Short Film Production
- Digital Image Manipulation
- Media Industries: Organisation, Regulation and Practice
- Researching, Recording and Presenting Information
Final Cut Pro
- Working with the Browser and Bins
- Marking clips and creating insert and overwrite edits as well as drag and drop editing
- Trimming edit points using Ripple, Roll and Extend edits and the Slip and Slide tools
- Applying filters
- Audio editing and audio creation
- Finishing and final output
Motion Graphics 101
- Understanding behaviour-based animation and templates
- Working with blend modes and chroma key techniques
- Advanced particle system design
- Masking methods
- Keyframing techniques
- Integration with Apple Professional Applications
The skills gained through this course will allow you to move into a variety of careers within the Film industries, as well as to progress to further study. At the end of the programme, you will have built up an extensive portfolio demonstrating expert technical, artistic and professional abilities, giving you the cutting edge needed to gain employment in this exciting and varied industry.
You will graduate with a range of industry targeted qualifications in professional production software including Final Cut Pro, Motion, DaVinci Resolve and Pro Tools.
On completion of this programme you will be able to progress into a variety of roles within the film and media industries spanning camera and lighting, production, post-production (sound and picture), editing, directing, distribution, costume, location and sound.
Interview Applications Now Open for September 2017!
This course is a direct application course. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will be in contact to discuss our payment options in securing your course place.
The programme is designed for all ages and skill levels, whether you are new to the industry, looking to up-skill, or wanting to learn new skills and enhance your career options within the film industry. No industry experience is required and applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
There is no interview or portfolio requirement to enrol on this course.
Please see further information on the course requirements and interview process below:
General Course Requirements
- A proven interest in film and television production, and an interest in related creative media arts
- Basic knowledge of computers (either Mac or PC) and video/audio software will be helpful, but not essential before starting the course
International Student Living Abroad or in Ireland
For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
- Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
- Internet based 90 with a written score of 21.
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.
Total Course Fee Per Year
€2,920 per year (2 years in duration)
Flexible Payment Option
Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course)
Enrolment Fee: €800 (payable in October)
Monthly Installments: 4 payments of €330 (Nov – Feb)