Intro to Games Development
Take the first step on the road to becoming a professional game developer!
Over the course of the program you will learn the fundamental skills required to develop a first-person game from industry experts. You will work on creating a 3D first person narrative experience that tells your own story in your own game world.
You will work within a number of constraints to develop your own unique story and world while using knowledge gained from the disciplines of Narrative Design, Game Development, and Game Art to realise your own creative vision for this project.
In the development of this game you will follow iterative workflow that includes play-testing with your classmates, gathering feedback and making appropriate changes. At the end of the course, you will showcase your games to the rest of the class and get a chance to try your classmates games.
This course covers several key areas, including game development, design, art and audio.
Games Development and Programming:
- Industry overview
- Roles and career paths
- An overview of programming and game development using the UNITY game engine
- The use of assets such as audio and graphics in games
- An introduction to the UNITY game engine with C# to create 3D games
- An introduction to the game design process
- Deconstructing classic games
- Creating board games and physical prototypes for digital games
- Play-testing games to gather feedback and iterate
- The process of creating game art assets using Photoshop and 3D Studio Max
- Exporting from a 3D package into a game engine
- Exploring the different areas of game art including environments, characters, vehicles, props and art for special effects
- Creating games concept Art
- Assessing game audio requirements
- Basic recording techniques
- Game audio development workflows
- Digital audio workstations (DAWs) including an overview of Pro Tools
- Non-linear audio for games
- HighPoly modelling and sculpting for games
- Working with multi-million poly models and sculpt layers to create realistic ultra-high-detail models ready for retopology or rendering
Course Start Dates
Start Date – February 2018 – exact dates TBC
End Date – February 2018 – exact dates TBC
Please submit your interest using the Apply Form below and we will contact you when dates are confirmed
Prospective students should display an enthusiasm for games, and a desire to take ideas from initial concept to finished product. There are no minimum academic requirements for acceptance onto this course.
Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will be in contact to discuss our payment options in securing your course place.
Total Cost: €550
Balance: €450 (payable 1 week before the course start date)
On completion, you will be awarded a Pulse College Certificate of Merit.