BA Degree in Animation
Pulse College’s BA Degree in Animation is developed and taught by practising industry professionals to ensure that you receive the very highest levels of training. A key part of the course involves producing a portfolio of work that will help you get into the exciting and growing Irish and international animation industry.
This course covers the full range of topics from drawing skills to 3D modelling, 3D lighting, character texturing, character animating, environmental modelling, animation rendering, and 2D animation, Comic Books and Sequential Art, Animation for Video Games. It will also teach you valuable professional workflows.
With the significant benefit of hands-on experience, you will be taught beyond the standard levels required by academic institutions. This practical experience is an essential element of our unique programme.
Class times are 20 hours per week, Monday to Friday with study spaces and extra tutoring available to provide to practice your skills.
Enrolling Now for September 2021
A key aspect of this course is to produce a portfolio over the duration of the course that will help you to break into the dynamic and creative animation industry.
During the course, you will learn about:
- Animating in 2D
- Designing a character for 3D Modelling
- How to create a 3D character model
- How to add colour to your character
- Making your character move
- Developing storyboards for animation
- Creating an environment to house your character
- Camera and lighting effects to make your animation pop
- Life Drawing
- Comic Books and Sequential Art
- Animation for Video Games
Whether you want to be an animator, character designer for games, concept artist, or VFX animator, Pulse College can set you on the right track to achieving your goal.
DETAILED COURSE CONTENT
- 2D Digital Imaging 1
- Animation Principles & History
- Life Drawing
- Storyboarding and Layout
- 3D Modelling 1 (Characters and environments)
- 3D Rigging & Animation
- Texturing & Unwrapping
- Visual Culture & Theory 1
- 2D Digital Imaging 2
- Narrative & Storytelling
- Life Drawing for Animation
- 3D Modelling 2 (Characters & Video Games)
- 3D Advanced Rigging & Animation
- Special Effects, Compositing & Motion Graphics
- Sequential Art Design and Production (Comic Art and Production)
- Visual Culture & Theory 2
Got a question?
General Course Requirements
- A proven interest in Art and/or Animation techniques and to display some interest in related creative media arts
- Basic knowledge of computers (Mac/PC, and audio software): helpful but not essential
In line with national policy, graduates from the level 7 programme would be eligible to progress to postgraduate programmes at level 8.
Graduates may wish to further extend their industry-based professional qualifications as new technologies and developments emerge.
HOW TO APPLY
This course is a direct application course and includes an interview. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will contact you to schedule your course interview.
There is no portfolio requirement to enrol on this course.
Irish Citizens under 23 years of age
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview and achieving a minimum of: 5x O6/H7s (O6 = 40 – 55% in a Leaving Certificate Ordinary subject / H7 = 30-40% in a Leaving Certificate Higher Level subject)
To include O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Maths
To include O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Language subject
Or:FETAC Level 6 / HETAC Level 7 in Animation/Art/Media or similar Or:3x GCSE A-Level / NVQ Level 3 in Animation/Art/Media or similar
Irish mature student over 23 years of age
Students over the age of 23 years of age on 1st January of the year of the course is classified as a Mature Student.Mature applicants are advised to apply directly through the college using the ‘Apply now’ button below. Applicants will be asked for a detailed CV. Applications should be made before the 31st August the year of the course.
International Student living abroad or in Ireland
International Students below the age of 23 years of age will be required to submit High School Diploma Scripts and any additional Education Certifications.For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
– TOEFL Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
– Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
– Internet based 90 with a written score of 21.
– Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
– Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
– IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.”
This course requires an interview as part of your applications. Please see the FAQ’s below for commonly asked questions regarding the interview process.
Where do the interviews take place?
The interviews are held in:
Pulse College, The Market Studios, Halston Street, Corner of Mary’s Lane, Dublin 7
How long will the interview be?
The interview will be typically 20–30 minutes long.
What should I bring?
If you could please bring:
– A copy of your C.V. that includes results of any music exams / tests you have completed to date. It should also include details of any groups / associations you have been a member of. It should also list your hobbies / interests
– It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity
– A copy of your passport/drivers licence
– A copy of any previous education transcripts and certificates
It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity.
How many people will be interviewing me?
The panel typically comprises 2-3 people.
Apart from the minimum requirements, what do they generally look for in a candidate?
Successful candidates have a strong, proven interest in this area. They are passionate about animation and are prepared to work very hard towards their goals.
Study Mode: Full-Time
Irish/EU living in Ireland: EUR 8,823*
*The fees above relate to Year 1 fees only. 2% PFL Charge of €173 included in Total Fee Per Year
Flexible Payment Option
Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
Enrolment Fee: €3,500 (payable by September)
Instalments: 4 monthly payments of €1,130.75 (Oct – Jan)
Year 2 Course Fees: €8,415
Year 3 Course Fees: €8,415