Diploma in Film Production (Full Time)
Pulse College’s Full-Time Diploma in Film Production is one of the most respected courses of its type in Ireland. The Diploma has been designed in conjunction with and run by industry professionals. In addition to in-depth training, you will get the chance to collaborate with experts and students from the Audio, Games and Animation courses within Pulse College, which fuels the production of a wide variety of professional quality work for inclusion in your final showreel.
Explore different genres, learn the technical skills, exercise your craft and most of all find your voice through film. Pulse College’s multi award winning tutors will be there to mentor you every step of the way. This hands-on, technical programme will give you the tools you need to follow your passion and make it a success.
Alumni have gone on to establish their own production companies and have produced work that has appeared at numerous international film festivals or been shortlisted for national film funding awards.
The programme is delivered by practicing industry professionals from disciplines including screenwriting, production, sound, cinematography and post production.
Throughout this stimulating and rewarding course you learn a variety of technical and creative production skills. You will be challenged to produce a wide variety of professional quality work from commercial productions and viral videos to music videos and documentaries.
Key Course Elements
- Learn to write and develop your own screenplays
- Develop, shoot and complete short dramas, documentaries, music videos
- Learn the core skills of industry Heads of Department such as cinematographer, sound recordist, editor, producer, director
- Add stunning backdrops using our dedicated green screen
- Editing your projects in one of our many editing labs
- Shoot your projects in Ultra HD with our 4K Blackmagic URSA Cinema Camera, Canon’s Cinema Line C100, GoPro Hero 4’s and Sony PMW Ex1’s
- Light your creations with professional ARRI and Kino Flo lighting rigs
- Add stunning backdrops using our dedicated Green Screen studio
- Edit your projects in our post production facility kitted out with duel 4K 28” monitors and fully specced Mac Pro
- Colour grade and edit your creations in the industry standard DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro X
- Get that perfect shot using our SteadiCam Pilot rig and fully body harness
- Break into the world of gripping with our advanced Matthews Dolly and Track system, Flag and Net kits, C-Stand inventory and much more
- Final Cut Pro, Level 200
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Premier
- Avid Pro Tools
- Adobe Photoshop
Detailed Course Content
Programme modules and content are subject to ongoing quality assurance reviews and will evolve to reflect educational and industry developments.
- Short Film and Documentary Production
- Music Video Production
- Location Sound
- Post Production Sound
- Editing Techniques
- Digital Photography
- Final Cut Pro X
- Adobe Premier and After Effects
- Freelance Employment in Film
Final Cut Pro, Level 200
- Working with the Browser and Bins
- Marking clips and creating insert and overwrite edits as well as drag and drop editing
- Trimming edit points using Ripple, Roll and Extend edits and the Slip and Slide tools
- Applying filters
- Audio editing and audio creation
- Finishing and final output
The skills gained through this course will allow you to move into a variety of careers within the film industry, as well as to progress to further study. At the end of the programme, you will have built up an extensive portfolio demonstrating expert technical, artistic and professional abilities, giving you the cutting edge needed to gain employment in this exciting and varied industry.
You will also graduate with a range of industry targeted skills in industry software, as listed above.
On completion of this programme you will be able to progress into a variety of roles within the film and media industries spanning camera and lighting, production, post-production (sound and picture), editing, directing, distribution, costume, location and sound.
This course is a direct application course and includes an interview. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will contact you to schedule your course interview.
The programme is designed for all ages (over 17 years of age) and skill levels, whether you are new to the industry, looking to up-skill, or wanting to learn new skills and enhance your career options within the film industry. No industry experience is required and applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
Please see further information on the course requirements and interview process below:
General Course Requirements
- A proven interest in film and television production, and an interest in related creative media arts
- Basic knowledge of computers (either Mac or PC) and video/audio software will be helpful, but not essential before starting the course
This course requires an interview as part of your applications. Please see the FAQ’s below for commonly asked questions regarding the interview process.
Where do the interviews take place?
The interviews are held in:
Windmill Lane Recording Studios,
20 Ringsend Road,
How long will the interview be?
The interview will be typically 20–30 minutes long.
What should I bring?
A CV and if you have a portfolio of work, please bring that too (e.g. sample scripts, short film, photographs etc.)
How many people will be interviewing me?
The panel typically comprises 1-2 people.
Apart from the minimum requirements, what do they generally look for in a candidate?
Successful candidates have a strong, proven interest in this area. They are passionate about film production and are prepared to work very hard towards their goals.
International Student Living Abroad or in Ireland
For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
- TOEFL Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
- Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
- Internet based 90 with a written score of 21.
- Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
- Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
- IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.
Total Course Fee Per Year
Flexible Payment Option
Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview. Please note; deposit is non-refundable)
Enrolment Fee: €3,500 (payable in September)
Installments: 4 payments of €672.5 (Oct – Jan)