Certificate in Animation
Studying at Pulse College will introduce you to valuable professional workflows and teach you everything from the basics of animation through to full 3D modelling. With the significant benefit of hands-on experience, you will be taught beyond the standard levels required by academic institutions. This practical experience is an essential element of our unique programme.
This course covers the full range of topics from preproduction, production, and postproduction in 2D and 3D animation, as well as the theory behind animation to create an in-depth understanding of the work you do.
During the course, you will learn about:
- The history and theory of animation
- Sequential art design and production
- Life drawing
- Storyboarding and layout
- Character modelling
- Unwrapping and texturing 3D objects
- 3D rigging and animation
- 2D asset creation and animation
- Creating 3D assets for games
- Audio Production
- Life Drawing for Animation
- Videogame Tools
- Narrative and Storytelling
DETAILED COURSE CONTENT
- Explore the history and development of animation
- Introduction to the 12 principles of animation
- Create simple biped 3D characters for animation
- Texture, rig, and animate 3D characters
- Visual Culture & Theory 1
- Line and contour drawing techniques
- Tonal value in creating the human form
- Gesture drawing
- Skeletal and muscular structure
- Creating a consistent narrative
- Theories and methods of storytelling
- Constructing and evolving a story
- Rigging 3D characters for use in animation
- Topology and weight painting
- Keyframe animation and the graph editor
- Create biped and quadruped 2D characters for animation
- Use animation principles to augment 2D animation
- Defining a storyboard
- Explore the different types of storyboards, techniques, and methodologies
- Designing storyboards for animation
- Unwrapping different types of 3D models
- Creating multiple texture maps
- Explore a variety of map types and their purposes
- Texturing characters and scenes
Got a question?
HOW TO APPLY
This course is a direct application course and includes an interview. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will contact you to schedule your course interview.
There is no portfolio requirement to enrol on this course.
Irish Citizens under 23 years of age
Entry onto our Degree Programme is based upon a course interview and achieving a minimum of: 5x O6/H7s (O6 = 40 – 55% in a Leaving Certificate Ordinary subject / H7 = 30-40% in a Leaving Certificate Higher Level subject)
To include O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Maths
To include O6 or higher in Ordinary Leaving Certificate Language subject
Or:FETAC Level 6 / HETAC Level 7 in Animation/Art/Media or similar Or:3x GCSE A-Level / NVQ Level 3 in Animation/Art/Media or similar
Irish mature student over 23 years of age
Students over the age of 23 years of age on 1st January of the year of the course is classified as a Mature Student.Mature applicants are advised to apply directly through the college using the ‘Apply now’ button below. Applicants will be asked for a detailed CV. Applications should be made before the 31st August the year of the course.
International Student living abroad or in Ireland
International Students below the age of 23 years of age will be required to submit High School Diploma Scripts and any additional Education Certifications.For applications whose first language is not English you will be asked for an original or certified true copy of one of the following:
– TOEFL Paper based 570 with a TWE (test of written English) score of 4.5.
– Computer based 233 with a score of 4.5 in the essay.
– Internet based 90 with a written score of 21.
– Cambridge Proficiency Grade C.
– Cambridge Advanced Grade A.
– IELTS Academic Version 6.5 with no individual band below 6.
Note: Students who do not satisfy Pulse College’s English language requirements for direct entry will be required to take an English language preparatory course before commencing studies. While the College does not offer an English language preparatory course, you will find this information from the Department of Education and Science’s official listing of recognised language schools.”
This course requires an interview as part of your applications. Please see the FAQ’s below for commonly asked questions regarding the interview process. Where do the interviews take place?
The interviews are held in:
Pulse College, The Market Studios, Halston Street, Corner of Mary’s Lane, Dublin 7
How long will the interview be?
The interview will be typically 20–30 minutes long.
What should I bring?
If you could please bring:
– A copy of your C.V. that includes results of any music exams / tests you have completed to date. It should also include details of any groups / associations you have been a member of. It should also list your hobbies / interests
– It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity
– A copy of your passport/drivers licence
– A copy of any previous education transcripts and certificates
It is a definite advantage to demonstrate your passion for animation, i.e. art portfolio or sketchbook, 3D modelling, design skills or making animation at home, although this is not a necessity.
How many people will be interviewing me?
The panel typically comprises 2-3 people.
Apart from the minimum requirements, what do they generally look for in a candidate?
Successful candidates have a strong, proven interest in this area. They are passionate about animation and are prepared to work very hard towards their goals.
Study Mode: Full-Time
Irish/EU living in Ireland: EUR 8,823*
*The fees above relate to Year 1 fees only. 2% PFL Charge of €173 included in Total Fee Per Year
Flexible Payment Option
Deposit: €800 (payable upon acceptance onto the course, following interview)
Enrolment Fee: €3,500 (payable by September)
Instalments: 4 monthly payments of €1,130.75 (Oct – Jan)
Course fees are paid directly to the International Office of our partner college: Griffith College.
Study Mode: Full-Time
Please note non EU students are not eligible to apply for this course as it is not a QQI Level 7 or higher. Applicants must also be 17+.
EU Living Abroad: EUR 9,639*
*The fees above relate to Year 1 fees only. 2% PFL Charge of €189 included in Total Fee Per Year. Please note that a Registration Fee of €250 is applicable each academic year in addition to the fees quoted above for International & EU (living outside of Ireland Students).