Diploma in Audio & Music Technology
The team from Windmill Lane Recording Studios has designed a new programme aimed at aspiring producers. This exciting new course provides great flexibility:
- Blended learning offering live online classes that are also recorded so that you can catch up and review when it suits you.
- Choose to learn on Ableton or Logic. Users of other platforms welcome.
- Practical classes are delivered from Windmill Lane Studios. You can attend – or attend virtually as they are streamed live!
- Four music production modules take you from introductory level to advanced level.
- Includes an intensive 6 day Windmill Lane Cert in Recording and Mixing.
- Windmill Lane Certificate awarded after completing each module.
- Windmill Lane Diploma attained upon completion of all levels.
Music Production Level 1
- Introduction to Logic / Ableton (you will choose which DAW in advance of commencement)
- Recording & editing midi and audio
- Introduction to software synths
- Creating beats using Drum Machines, loops and samplers
- Intro to music basics – chords, melody and rhythm, building a song from scratch
- Intro to mics and microphone techniques (In Windmill Lane Studios)
- Introduction to audio fx plug – ins (compressors, E.Q., Reverb and delay)
- Using the mixer
Music Production Level 2
- Using software instruments:
- Drum machines
- Editing pitch and time
- Using audio processors effectively
- An introduction to mixing – premixing, monitoring, masking (In Windmill Lane Studios)
- Live performance using Ableton and Mainstage
- Importing a Movie
Windmill Lane Cert in Recording, Mixing and Mastering
6 Day intensive, Windmill Lane Studio 1 & 2
Introduction to Studio 1 & 2
Microphone Techniques for Drums and Bass
Recording and Microphone Techniques for overdubbed instruments:
Percussion, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Keys and Strings
Preparing for the mix- Editing, Beat detective, tips and tricks
Preparation for Mastering
The Art and Science of Mastering (Mastering Workshop)
Advanced Production Techniques
- Workflows for Movies – Spotting Scenes, Beat Mapping and Tempo Tracks
- Synchronisation between 2 DAWS
- Control of external MIDI devices
- Creating Orchestral Mock – ups
- Advanced Automation
- Mixing Large Ensembles and Orchestral works
- 5.1 Surround mixing (In Windmill Lane Studios)
Got a question?
HOW TO APPLY
This course is a direct application course. Applications are currently taken through the Application Form below. Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will be in contact to discuss our payment options in securing your course place. General
A proven interest in audio and/or music technology, and to display some interest in related creative media arts
Basic knowledge of computers (Mac/PC, and audio software): helpful but not essential
The programme is designed for all ages and skill levels, whether you are new to the industry, looking to up-skill, or wanting to learn new skills and enhance your career options within the Audio industry. No industry experience is required and applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
There is no interview application for this course but we would be delighted to invite you in for a private tour of our campus; to meet our course lecturers and gain further insight into what our course has to offer.
Deciding to study sound engineering at Pulse College turned out to be the most important decision I made in my whole life. The quality of the course content combined with the support on offer provided me with all the tools I needed to go on and become a successful engineer and producer. In the music business you really need to learn to walk before you can run, and there is no better place in the country to do that!
Audio & Music Technology Diploma
This course is not recognised on the ILEP and therefore not available for international student application.