Diploma in 3D Game Art
Games! Here at Pulse College, we love games…
Want to become 3D games artist?
This is the first-ever course devoted exclusively to 3D Game Art offered in Ireland. 3D Games Art professionals designed this course for students looking to forge a career as a 3D game artist.
So, what exactly is a game artist? A game artist is a person who makes the visuals for a 3D game. This includes both the characters and environments.
The course will take place over three semesters. In semesters 1 and 2, you will cover 3D models, texturing, working in a game engine (Unreal 5) and how to create and sculpt characters. The final semester will allow you to work on your Major Project where you can specialise in the area of 3D games you wish to work in: character art, environmental art, technical art – the choice is yours! You will emerge from this programme with a demonstrable portfolio of work to showcase to prospective employers.
DETAILED COURSE CONTENT
- Hard Surface 3D Modelling & Referencing
- Life Drawing
- Introduction to Sculpting
- Advanced Texturing
- Character Design
- Concept Art
- Game Engine Studies
Those who complete the programme will be equipped with the skills needed to find work in the game development industry, of course, but also as a 3D animator or 3D app developer.
Key Course Elements
- Concept and develop your ideas and improve your ability to express your creativity
- Make effective and appealing 3D models using 3DS Max
- Make organic characters, assets and foliage using ZBrush
- Develop and apply your life drawing skills in relation to 3D art
- Learn advanced features in Substance Painter and Substance Designer
- Import multiple texture maps into Unreal 5 and export Substance graphs from Substance Designer into a game engine
- Learn to rig in 3DS Max
- Build a full 3D environment in Unreal Engine 5, including lighting and post processing
- Work on a specialised project of your own choosing, providing you with a centre piece for your portfolio
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is mainly geared towards those with some basic knowledge of 3D art, and is designed to bring them up to an industry standard. However, if you feel you would like to learn more about 3D art, and are willing to work hard, then please get in touch – we would love to have you on-board!
Kevin Adanan is a Senior Artist at Dimension88, a Dublin-based 3D digital twinning company, and has also worked for a 3D app design company. Kevin has worked on published AAA video games and mobile games. He has taught at Pulse College since 2020. Kevin holds a BA (Hons) in Computer Games Art from Teeside University, Middlesbrough, UK.
Got a question?
HOW TO APPLY
This course is suitable for anyone with some basic knowledge of 3D Art. No previous experience is required.
Upon receiving your application form our Admissions Team will be in contact to discuss securing your course place.
No industry experience is required and applicants may be accepted without formal academic qualifications.
There is no interview application for this course.
Total cost: €3,500
Flexible Payment Option
Deposit (payable upon acceptance to the course): €800
Enrolment fee (payable in October): €1500
4 x Monthly Instalments: €300 (Nov-Feb)
**Please note: Fees are non-refundable
This course is not recognised on the ILEP and therefore not available for international student application.